Welcome to our new website
Welcome to the Bankruptcy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. This website is designed to give our members information and resources that may be useful in everyday practice. The website also contains information about upcoming events and CLE programs.
The Bankruptcy Section’s purpose is to: (1) promote the study of Bankruptcy law, (2) study and report on laws and decisions as they may affect the rights of parties in the bankruptcy process, and (3) provide a forum for members of the legal and financial communities interested in Bankruptcy law, and (4) facilitate the provision of pro bono legal services directly by Section members or through qualified legal aid organizations. To that end, the Section has developed several programs to achieve these goals. Just to name a few:
- the Moneywise program educates high schoolers about budgeting, credit cards, and debt;
- the Elliott Cup prepares bankruptcy law students for the national Duberstein moot court competition;
- the Bill Wallander Legal Aid Fund supports local pro bono service organizations throughout Texas;
- the Starting Out Right program educates bankruptcy law fundamentals to new lawyers;
- the bi-annual Bench Bar conference draws judges, speakers, and attendees from multiple states; and
Our council members are dedicated to ensuring the success of these programs and developing new programs that are consistent with the Section’s mission. We welcome ideas, contributions, and criticisms. Please do not hesitate to reach out to any of our council members.
- the law school pro bono clinic matches law students with indigent debtors and facilities the pro bono service.
Omar J. Alaniz
Bankruptcy Law Section
State Bar of Texas